Are you running out of memory and looking for ways to free up space on Apple Watch? It is pretty surprising how media contents, fitness and health tracked data can fill up your apple smartwatch so fast and make you run short of internal storage. If you don’t want the lack of storage space to limit your newer playlists, audiobook and podcasts , we are here to help you with just few tricks. Keep reading, before you finish going through few paragraphs, you would have gotten how to free up storage on Apple Watch series 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Depending on your apple watch model and how much content you download or sync, it is possible you can easily run out of memory storage or get a low space before you desperately needs it. However, Apple has done a good job adding more storage space to Apple Watch, beginning from series 3 to series 6 with 32GB and 1GB RAM memory spaces.
But there are times when you have not enough space on apple watch for update to run. In that case, freeing up storage is the ultimate solution. It is a common thing to wear your apple Smartwatch without noticing how fast the storage is filled with different files and apps.
When you notice there is not enough memory, the first thing is to check the storage space on your Apple Watch, before you take any other action.
Img: Apple Watch memory usage – Guide how to free up storage on Apple Watch
Related Guide To Apple Watches :
- How to extend apple watch battery life – Save And Make Your apple watch battery last longer
- Can You Swim With Apple Watch? –Wearing Apple watches To Open Water Pools, Showers and in Rains
- Best Fall Alert watch – 5 Fall Detection watch for Seniors – peoples with mobility problem
- The best smartwatch for diabetics – 7 Pains-Free Blood Glucose Monitoring Watches
- Best Watch For Mountain Biking and Cycling – Affordable Smart Sport Watches Under $300
- 4 Easy Steps How To Change Apple Watch To military Time Mode
- The Best Thinnest Smartwatch – 12 Slimmest Smartwatches That Are Insanely lightweight
- Best Smartwatch For Small Wrists – Flawless, Beautiful And Stylish Small Smart Watches
Apple Watches With Their Internal Memory Specs
Apple Watch has a finite amount of built in or internal storage space and how much storage a particular apple Watch has depends on the watch model.
- OS watchOS 7.0, upgradable to 7.3,
- Chipset Apple S6
- Internal Storage capacity: 32GB
- Memory RAM Size: 1GB
- OS watchOS 6.0, upgradable to 7.3
- Chipset Apple S5
- Internal Storage capacity: 32GB
- Memory RAM Size: 1GB
- OS : watchOS 5.0, upgradable to 7.3,
- Chipset Apple S4
- Internal Storage capacity: 16GB
- Memory RAM Size: 1GP RAM
- OS : watchOS 4.0, upgradable to 7.3,
- Chipset Apple S3
- Internal Storage capacity: 16GB
- Memory RAM Size: 768MB RAM
- OS : watchOS
- Chipset :
- Internal Storage capacity:
- Memory RAM Size:
Things that take up space in An apple smartwatch
There are so many contents you can store in an apple watch. Some stored content occupy more space than others. How much each of these contents fills the smartwatch storage drive, often depends on which activity you run so often and also on your everyday usage and syncing.
- Applications – Activity apps
- Operating system
- Audiobooks and Podcasts
- Musics and songs
- Pictures and Photos
- Video and movies
- Emails/mails and messages
Img: Guide how to make storage on Apple Watch – first check how much memory storage space is used up or available.
Before you start to free up space on Apple watch series 3, 4, 5 and 6, first check how much space is left and follow our guide to free up space on Apple Watch
How to Check Your Apple Watch Storage
A large number of installed app, music, songs, synced files causes you apple watch to run out of space or memory. But you still need to verify how much space is left, how much is occupied.
To actually figuring out what app is taking up so much storage on your Apple Watch, you’ll need your iPhone handy. Moreover, You can do this either by using your iPhone or your Apple Watch.
If you don’t have enough space to update your Apple Watch, It’s surprising to you uuh? You are wondering how fast you got you apple watch storage filled with different files and apps, within a little time.
It is possible to see how much storage space is left on the device, with just few steps. Here’s how to check the storage space on your Apple Watch and, later, we will take a look at what to do to free up more of it.
Check Storage using Apple Watch
You got no iPhone handy? Here is a way that you can directly check your Apple Watch storage from the watch itself.
- To open Home Screen, click on Digital Crown
- Go to Settings
- Tap on General.
- At the bottom tap Usage.
- Check under “Available” , there you get the amount of space left.
- Check Under “Used” , there you have utilized storage space
- Further scroll down and you will see how much space each content occupies
Check Watch storage On your Apple smartphone
Apple Watch is a handy companion to an Apple iPhone, So checking Apple Watch storage from iPhone is simple.
- Launce the watch app
- Go to general
- Go to usage
- You see Available or Used capacities
A Quick Way to how to free up space on Apple Watch series 3, 4, 5 and 6 (memory capacity)
If you don’t have enough time to check our guide, take a look at this video, perhaps, you can easily catch a way on how to manage storage on apple watch.
Here’s How To make storage on apple watch
How do I delete data from Apple Watch for save space? There are so many content you can store on apple watch as you have seen above and if your watch has limited space like the apple series 3, you are in trouble.
Unfortunately, you can upgrade memory or change the chipset from apple series 5 to fit apple series 3. If that was possible, it would be easier to switch storage memory when it gets full. As a result, the only way how to free up space in my apple watch , is by deleting data I no longer use.
So how do I delete data from Apple Watch and free up space? We would see now, how you can make storage on apple watch, to give more room for other important data.
1. Remove Some Apple watch Apps
If too many Installed apps may occupy a large portion of the storage space, free up some space on your Apple Watch deleting the apps that you don’t frequently use. But how do you remove apps from Apple Watch?
How do you delete built in apps on Apple Watch By Smartpone – iPhone Watch app?.
- Open the Watch app,
- At the bottom menu tap on My Watch.
- On the Apple Watch apps section, Scroll down to find the App Installed on Apple watch.
- Delete the apps by tapping on them
- Then toggle off “Show App on Apple Watch”
How do you delete built in apps on Apple Watch By the Apple watch itself?
Follow these step how to delete Apple Watch apps
- On the Home Screen
- Tap and hold on any app icon until they all start to shake,
- Tap on the “X” icone on the app which is not of any use.
- On the confirmation window tap Delete App.
Another simple way to delete apps from the Apple Watch is to simply swipe left on the app when the Apple Watch Home Screen is set on list view. To remove it, tap the trash icon.
Img: Guide on how to free up storage on Apple Watch – delete audiobooks which are no longer used. Here’s how to Free up storage on Apple watch series 3, 4, 5 and 6
2. Delete Audiobooks and Podcasts you have used already
It is good to look also at Podcasts and Audiobooks too, there are two largest contents locations on Apple Watch to look for when you want to remove precious storage space.
Remember, Podcasts was introduced in watchOS 5 and and Audiobooks was introduced in watchOS 6. These apps can contain large files but how big these files are, relatively depends on your watch internal memory and your setup.
If you have some stored audiobooks and podcasts that you hardly or have listened to them, remove them to recover more free storage space. The question is how do I delete data from Apple Watch to get enough capacity? You can use Watch app on your iPhone.
Follow these steps how to delete audiobooks from an Apple Watch:
- launch Watch app
- Go to the My Watch section o.
- Scroll down to Audiobooks and Tap it.
- under Reading Now and Want to Read, Toggle off the audiobooks .
- Further scroll lower down to the audiobooks that have been synced to your Apple Watch.
- At the top-right corner, Tap To Delete the book no longer read
Steps how to delete podcasts from an Apple Watch
- On the same My Watch screen
- Scroll down to Podcasts on the apps list and tap it
- On tht Add Episodes From menu,choose Custom
- Toggle off the podcasts that you want kicked out.
On thing to note is that played podcasts are removed automatically from Apple Watches, without your notice.
However, “Listen Now setting” downloads an episode from each podcast you’re subscribed , ans after you are done listening, this method would “de-synchronize” all of those unplayed episodes on your Apple Watch.
You can also use any Podcast app. Just tap the three-dot menu button, and select Settings but if all fails, you can still save storage on your Apple Watch, by deleting the Podcasts app and using third-party apps like Outcast or Overcast.
3. Remove Music and songs
Apple watches have internal storage memory where you can store downloaded contents. Apple has done their best over the ears to increase the capacity of their watches from model series 3 to model series 6 with 32GB of space.
This internal memoory is large enough, thus you can download music and songs into the apple watch, for phone free listening over bluetooth or speakers.
If you have enjoyed lots of favorite playlist and you no longer need some, removing them is a great way to free up and get more storage space.
If music is taking up most of your storage space, here’s how to make storage on apple watch – delete the music using your Apple iPhone:
- Launch Watch app
- Go to the My Watch tab.
- Scroll down to Music and tap on it
- Toggle off Playlist you don’t need. You may do same for albums under Automatically add. This is to stop downloading new music
- At the top-right corner,Tap Edit
- Tap on the cancel(“X”) symbol to remove and confirm the Delete Action
Another way how to make storage on apple watch using your Apple Watch is simple.
- From the Apple Watch home screen,
- Go to Music
- Go to Library
- Go to Downloaded.
Choose to delete a whole Album or individual Songs, then tap on the section
- Swipe left and Press the three dots that appear
- Tap Remove, and confirm your action
- Tap Remove Download.
Img: Guide how to free up space on apple watcvh – reove or delete photos and other images to free up storage on Apple Watch
4. Limit Photo Syncing
Another how to manage storage on apple watch is to Set Limits on the Photos Synced to Your Apple Watch. People who constantly go on outdoor adventures like hiking trails, mountain biking and cycling, sometime record their activity by taking photos. It is more easier to capture outdoor events from the wrist without noticing they fill up space.
If you noticed that your photos occupy a large size of the apple watch storage space, Instead of deleting, you choose to set a limit on the number of photos synced. Reducing the number of photos is a little way how to change the photos limit on Apple Watch and this would avoid syncing many snapshots or pictures in feature.
Also, you can deal with lot of images in your Favorites apple watch album, which eat up storage space, change the album it’s synced to, or limit how many photos will sync. Here is how to unsync photos from apple watch by the use of Watch app on your iPhone:
- Launch Watch App on iPhone
- Go to My Watch from the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll down to Photos and Tap it
- Tap Photos Limit,
- Choose the smallest number of photos, 25 Photos is a good photos limit on Apple Watch
To see the number of photos stored on your Apple Watch,
- From your Apple Watch home page
- Open the Settings app
- then go to General > About.
To find out how much space is used for your photos, and screenshot in the Apple Watch
- Open the Apple Watch app
- then go to General > Usage .
If you choose to delete the images, they will also be deleted from the iCloud as well as the photo gallery. It depends whether you totally want to wipe them out or to preserve them.
Related: How To Choose A Smartwatch – What should I look for when buying a smartwatch?
Img: Guide how to make storage in Apple Watch – removing photos to free up memory space on Apple watcvh series 3, 4, 5 and 6
5. How to delete photos on apple watch
Photos from the iPhone album appear in the Photos app inside your Apple Watch. Your Apple Watch stores photos also in the iCloud from a single and the synced photo album also appear on your iPhone.
You have seen how to unsync photos from apple watch, Here are easy steps how to delete photos from apple watch face gallery which also helps to delete the images from your Apple icloud Account.
To clear and get the photos off my Apple Watch, first Choose the album where you stored the image files in your on Apple Watch
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap My Watch,
- Go to Photos
- Tap Selected Photo Album,
- Then choose the album.
To remove the photos from Apple Watch, take these steps to clear them off the storage
- open the Photos app on your iPhone,
- Remove the image from the album you’ve synced.
In the same way, if you want to create a new album for Apple Watch photos, you should also use the Photos app on your iPhone.
6. Delete health data on Apple Watch
Your Apple Watch is a fitness and health smartwatch and from the design, it collects health data and records your fitness activities.
The apple watch often share this enormous data with your synced iOS gadgets and the online community. These fitness data gets removed automatically from your Apple Watch after it is offloaded to your iPhone via Bluetooth connection.
However, you can choose to remove the Apple Watch’s fitness tracking completely, if you no longer wants the Watch for tracking your health and fitness data.
Remember, health and fitness are a core features of the Apple watch platform. If you have a strong reason to delete health data on your Apple Watch, take these steps
- Open the Health app on your iPhone.
- Go to Sources.
- Select and open your Apple Watch.
- Scroll to the bottom
- Where it reads “Delete All Data from” and select it.
- Tap Delete to confirm
- Close the health app
- Reopen the health app.
7. Delete old messages in Apple Watch
Old message or mails can become too large and used quiet a large part of the storage on the Apple Watch. Luckily, here is how to remove mail from apple watch – just delete aging threads in your Messages
- On your Apple Watch,
- Go to Home Ppage
- Tap to open message App icon
- Swipe to the left on any message thread.
- Tap Delete to remove the message
Img: Guide how to save space on apple watches – Limit automatic updates as an ultimate way how to create more storage capacity on Apple Watch series 3, 4, 5 and 6
8. Disable Purchased Apps Auto-Update on Apple Watch
Another way how to manage storage on apple watch is to free up storage by limiting auto update of purchased apps. For iPhone or iPad, if you buy apps and the corresponding app is available for Apple Watch, it will continue to automatically update without your notice. This auto update setting is always enabled, helping to download the app onto your Apple Watch. You can check and make sure this setting is off.
To release and free up some Apple Watch storage space on your watch, here ‘s how to prevent your Apple Watch from automatically downloading apps purchased in other Apple devices
- Go to Settings
- Tap on App Store
- Toggle off ‘Automatic Downloads
Img: guide how to free up storage on Apple Watch if storage full alert message appears.
Apple Watch Still Sends “Storage Full” Message – how to manage storage on apple watch.
Plenty of apple users often get shocked, after removing photos, music, and all the heavy files that eat up their apple watch storage capacity, to see there is still not enough memory. Often, the “Storage full” message still shows up, and according to Apple users, Storage issues is the most common for Apple Watch Series 3.
If upon all the work you have done so far to free up space, apple watch still displays “Storage full” message, that is something to fix immediately.
Here’s how to fix the Apple Watch “Storage Full” Message
First Power off the Apple Watch ( hold the Side button and sliding to power off).
Press the Side button again to restart the apple watch
Unpair it from your iPhone and pair it again.
- To erase the Apple Watch
- Go to Settings
- Go to General
- Tap Reset on the watch itself.
Img: Guide how to save space on Apple Watch – disconnecting and updating Apple watches
Unpair and update your Apple Watch
If you can’t update way after removing and deleting your media and apps, the final strategy to recover all the space for your apple watch is to unpair the watch, before updating it. One thing to note, is that your Apple Watch and iPhone should be close together while you unpair them.
Here is how to unpair apple watch and update it on your iphone
- On your Apple Smartphone
- Launch the Watch app
- Go to the My Watch tab
- Tap your watch – see it at the top of the screen
- Tap the info button with info icon near the watch to unpair.
- Tap to Unpair Apple Watch.
- For GPS and Cellular apple watch models, it recommended to keep the cellular plan.
- Tap again to confirm.
It may ask for your Apple ID password to turn off the Activation Lock. Apple is good in terms of security. Before erasing all content and settings from your Apple Watch, the iPhone makes a new backup of your Apple Watch for future recovery or restore.
Now, your apple watch is empty, with large memory. The final step is to set up your apple watch using the Apple smartphone. There are tow options to set up apple watch by iPhone – set up as New or restore from backup.
Since you have storage issue, DO NOT choose restore from back up. Set it up as a New Watch by following the screen instructions until you finish the watch setup. You may update to the watchOS by installing the beta profile after setup is complete. Finally, should should update your Apple Watch, with enough memory space for new use.
Tips on how to manage storage on apple watch properly
There are so many ways to use Storage Space Effectively in apple smartwatch. Here is the summary of how to free up space on apple watch
- If you don’t have enough space to update your Apple Watch, first Restart your watch
- Limit too many synced photos,
- Remove audiobooks, and podcasts that you often listen to,
- Kick out the apple watch apps that you don’t use,
- Remove media and Stream music rather than store them in your apple watch memory.
- Large memory takes time to be accessed and deleting unnecessary content before the device lack memory is a good habit
- Take important photography, else it can drain your Apple Watch storage space.
- Always check out how much storage space is left on your Apple Watch, every week
- Disable Purchased Apps Auto-Update on Apple Watch
- If none of these methods works, install the watchOS update.
If storage space capacity on your Apple Watch is running dangerously low, your first step is to check the memory capacity used and available. Then you take an active step to remove podcasts, audiobooks and music tracks or photos first . These are obvious ways how to free up space on Apple Watch and bring in new media contents. Whenever your wrath storage capacity is small, Any of these contents might have grown large enough to be the culprit. If these media contents are deleted and nothing or memory capacity isn’t freed up, that is time to remove unused apps. Hope our guide on how to make storage on Apple Watch was helpful to you.